Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Done the course!


Ok, so last night was the beginners patchwork course. I am officially knackered! Working a full day, racing around like a looney picking up the kids and dropping them off at their Granny's place (thanks Granny :-)) , then racing to get to a course by 5:30 pm is not a great idea. I was late finishing work and got out a 4:55 pm! Raced across town in rush hour traffic and only managed to be 10 minutes late.

I really enjoyed the course. I was very nervous about cutting my beautiful fabrics, but the ladies at Itch to Stitch were SO helpful, and even though I had no clue what I was doing they inspired confidence. The machine I used was beautiful, and made my machine look like an antique. I think my machine probably is an antique, but still works wonderfully so no excuse to buy a new one. No money either! At about $3000 I don't think I will be getting one any time soon. There is always the lottery, but that is a VERY long shot!

I came home at 11pm with a mostly pieced top to my quilt. I spent a bit of time obsessing about the layout of the squares, and eventually decided to just bite the bullet and start sewing. This picture is of the pieces of the quilt on the floor of the shop, after the fabulous Kushla had helped me turn squares around about 15 times. I kid you not. They had this groovy reverse binocular thing that you look at your quilt through that makes it look further away. Very cool for getting a different perspective. All that is left to do now to finish my quilt top is cut 4 small setting triangles for the corners (that somehow I missed), sew two more strips to the quilt and I am done. Except that I have decided to put a large border on the quilt and have to decide what style and which fabric. Then I have to decide on the backing and actually finish it! If I say it quickly it doesn't sound too much.

Anyway, I think I could really get into this quilting lark. I spent a ridiculous amount of time salivating over some of the fabrics too. Maybe that is why I didn't get the quilt top finished.......

1 Comments:

At Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:46:00 AM, Blogger ElleMae said...

It's beautiful! Well done Em... what a gorgeous quilt! I know what you mean about cutting - I love my fabrics in fat quarters and hate putting the cutter to them. Now you've officially been bitten by the quilting bug...so watch out world (or at the very least sewing and fabric stores)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home